Tuesday, March 8, 2016

William Robert Lancaster 1885-1954

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
WILLIAM ROBERT LANCASTER
9TH APRIL 1885 --  18TH NOVEMBER 1954

(This morning, Mon July 11, 2016, I went for a walk to the Botanical Gardens in Lucknow and noticed a covered enclosure for plants called the 'Percy Lancaster House' which prompted me to google Percy Lancaster. From Fibis.org and Wikipedia.org I found that he worked for the Provincial Bank of India. He married Ida Gordon Blunt at Fatehgarh in 1885. He was the Secretary, Agri-Horticultural Society, Alipore (Calcutta) where he died in 1904. His son was Sydney Percy Lancaster who was an apprentice with the Society.
I had photographed the grave of William Robert Lancaster two years ago and wondered whether there was a connection, but found no connection. I also found that I had missed this grave and not uploaded it to my blog. Wikipedia records that Sydney Percy Lancaster spent his last years in Lucknow after returning from Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia.
I wasn't able to get any info on William Robert Lancaster?
Nishatganj Cemetery, Lucknow 


2 comments:

  1. There was a William Robert Lancaster who was involved with the Oriental Motor Corporation in India. I wonder if this is he? Percy Lancaster's daughter Doris married Donald George McLeod, the nephew of Roderick Kenneth McLeod whose grave you have also photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo Hopkins, It is sad that there's no one left who would have remembered! William R.Lancaster died when I was four years old!!
    I do, however, remember, Oriental Motors, a showroom at Hazratganj, Lucknow that was around till a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete