Sunday, May 27, 2012

Letter to Peter Shepherd

This picture of Edward Thomas Shepherd 1858-1936, was taken in 1988 by Peter Shepherd at a cemetery 3 km downhill from Nainital towards Bhimtal that I visited on Tuesday May 15, 2012. )The pic that I uploaded a few days back tells a different story. Today the grave is buried with only half the inscribed stone remaining. Even the grave and stone steps seen in this pic behind Peter's wife (kneeling) have been carried away. People here do not know what history is nor do they care. There are thousands of instances where roads, and in some cases monuments, in India have been renamed by politicians, little realising that they are dishonouring the people whom the think they are honouring. A good example is the Ochterlony monument in Calcutta which was renamed martyrs memorial whereas it was in commemoration of a victory. What is past cannot be changed. Why do people feel guilty about what happened hundreds of years ago, of the mistakes and weaknesses of people far greater than they can ever be.


Sunday May 27, 2012..


Dear Peter,
Our family history has always interested me going back to the earliest times when I'd visit my grandfather's grave. Just one grave beyond the footside is buried his son, Herbert, who was drowned, I think, within two years of his death. Herbert was Ivy's twin. Robert met Irene and Gladys' friend, Isabelle. Aunty Ivy's second name was Gladys. I must check the out on her tombstone. In 1991 when Nana Mabel passed away, as requested, her remains were interred in her husband's grave. Uncle Harold, my brother Keith and myself watched the grave being opened. After uncle left, being eager to see what was inside, I removed the stone slab from the head side and peeped in. Needless to say there wasnt anything, though I didn't disturb anything. I did, however, pick up the flat, metal 'shield' on which his name was written. The shape of decayed leaves and earth covered most with just the 'd' from Shepherd clearly visible. I then place it as I found it. Nana was buried there a few hours later.
I was posted in Banaras for twenty months from October 1984. While there Keith reminded me that our great grandmother was buried there in 1904 (?). So off I went, and, was really moved by the type of graves there because they were different from the ones I was used to seeing, except of course, those in the Residency. I went over the cemetery grave by grave but didn't find it. This graveyard was divided by a busy road. If it wasn't here and what if it wasn't across the road. That part of the cemetery remained shut as there wasn't any space left. As luck would have it. After searching for a while I found the grave of Amelia Martha Shepherd nee Hand. I always regretted not owning a camera then. Some years ago Keith went in search of the grave but couldn't find it. Maybe it's not there anymore

.Later, while still at Banaras I visited Chunar which was 40-50 km away to search for grandfather's sisters graves. I had no luck here. It was the height of summer and this area having barren and rocky hills. it was killingly hot. I visited one small cemetery on a hill just below the Chunar Fort. I was,an older burial ground with most of the tombstones smashed. I left Chunar within hours, exhausted, but hoping to return. This I never managed.
The Naini Tal visit was important because we visited the only cemetery and it was the right one. You might have tired of my emails coming in without even waiting for a reply!
Best Regard.
George

No comments:

Post a Comment