Thursday, July 18, 2013

Frederic Augustus Megowan died 1860

IN MEMORY OF
FREDERIC AUGUSTUS MEGOWAN
WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE ON THE
28TH JANUARY 1860
IN HIS 27TH YEAR.

Out cycling this morning (July 19, 2013) I passed 
the Residency, climbed the slope to the Daliganj bridge and rolled down the other side with the Imambaras in mind. I had already been that side
twice this week! Then I remembered the memorial to Muslim Poet Meer near the City Station, so I rode up Shahmina Road towards the
King George's Medical University (formerly College), and then towards Golaganj. After taking a couple of pictures of the Meer Memorial I headed past Christian College towards the Balrampur Hospital. In 1950-60 my brother, Richard was admitted there for the removal of his tonsils. I had then seen a grave outside one of the wards and at some point of time concluded that a doctor was buried here, so I stopped by to take a picture and get the name etc. The grave is in good condition because its in a place where no one goes.
On getting home I checked the net for information on FA Megowan and came up with a letter from from Dr Rosie Llewellyn-Jones, in reply to a query by Dr Anil Nautiyal. Dr Nautiyal, an old Martinian, has worked at this hospital for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment