Friday, February 12, 2016

Enid Sheila (Saucy) McAuliffe died 1955

In ever long and treasured Memory
of
My beloved wife
ENID SHEILA (SAUCY) MCAULIFFE
Who departed this life
on the 16th November 1955
Aged 31 years
*
Death divides but memory lingers
Erected by her devoted husband

*
Enid Sheila McAuliffe nee Tuck was a teacher
at La Martiniere College and the sister
of Mr Edgar Tuck, now a retired teacher
and later Principal, Cambrian Hall, Dehradun
 settled in Australia. The information
came as a comment to this post by Glenda
Booth and confirmed by Mr Tuck's nephew,
Robert Jordan. 
Enid was married to Maxy McAulliffe. 
According to Robert, Mr Tuck filled
the vacancy created at the College by 
his sister's death.
**
From La Martiniere "Constantia" of 1955 (or 1956)

The Late Mrs Enid Sheila McAuliffe, better known as Saucy, was appointed teacher of Standard IV in August 1953. Though such a short time on the Staff of the College,
she had fully proved her worth. She was not only a hard-working and efficient teacher, but was a great help and a good 'sport' at all times. Not a school function
goes by without a deep regret that she is no longer in our midst.
Her sudden and untimely passing away on the 17th November 1955 cast a gloom over the entire College. I feel sure that all members of the Staff cherish happy memories of one who was always so bright and cheerful.

7 comments:

  1. I think this is Edgar Tuck's sister. I believe she died of a sudden brain aneurysm and it was attributed at that time to having had a head bath with very hot water. I think either she or her husband were working in La Martiniere, as when her parents were rushing to Lucknow by train, her mother is supposed to have said that she hoped her daughter would recover, but her father looked over her shoulder and saw the flag flying at half-mast over La Martiniere, and knew their daughter had passed away. Or so goes the old story I heard as a child.
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Glenda, that's interesting! So it is possible to check this out. I'll message him and see whether he see it.
    George

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glenda,
    I had contacted Robert Jordan and he confirmed the info you provided on Saucy McAuliffe nee Tuck. After Robert asked how to contact you, I discovered that I'm not sure of email ad., though I thought I'd passed it onto Lynda Gregory. I sent a query to the address I found in Lynda's email -michelle.brenda@gmail.com -
    George

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi George,
      My email id is michelle.glenda@gmail.com -- not brenda.
      It would be nice to hear from Bob Jordan. It's also good to know that my memory is still serving me correctly!
      Glenda

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete