Monday, September 8, 2014

Henry Francis died 1896

The inscription was difficult to read

In Memory of
HENRY FRANCIS
OF THE UP POLICE
DIED 6 APRIL 1896
AGED 30 YEARS

IN MEMORY OF A CONSTANT DROUGHT
IN HEAR A CONSTANT SORROW

ERECTED BY HIS XXXXX
(From the touching words one can presume that would be 'wife' but then it could also be 'mother'.
Nishatganj Cemetery
 The top pic I took some weeks ago because the brickwork
bothered me. It looked like a cubicle for a toilet! 
 I put the pic 
on
 facebook with a comment 
 and, maybe, just maybe, 
a guy who is 
 a facebook friend and 
close to the Catholic priests 
played a hand. 
On
 Saturday 6, 2014 I found 
nothing had been added. To make
room for burials old graves are wiped out by removing the 
stones then fresh graves are dug in between. I have a feeling
the Henry Francis was buried nearby and the stone had been
moved!! I found other gravestones that I'd photographed last
time had been lifted and place some metres from their 
original location bottom snap.


 I'll have to examine the inscription once again because the puzzling part is that the United Provinces of Agra and Oudh only came into being in 1902. 


1 comment:

  1. Henry Francis epitaph most likely reads In memory a constant thought, In Heart a constant sorrow. It is the same epitaph on his mothers grave Magdalen Francis

    ReplyDelete