Friday, November 29, 2013

Sidney H Shepherd 1917-1988, Olga Shepherd 1928--2013


Nishatganj Cemetery, Lucknow
SIDNEY HERBERT LEONARD SHEPHERD
1917-1988
IN MY FATHER'S HOUSE
I WILL DWELL FOREVER MORE
WIFE OLGA (DIED NOV 27, 2013)
CHILDREN AND GRAND CHILDREN

Sidney retired as Superintendent. Northern Rly, Charbagh Station, Lucknow. Earlier he  was Kanpur Station Master.
I only met Mr Shepherd once in the mid-80's but had spoken to him a few years earlier. I remember it was New Year late morning and he must have been surrounded by his family.
A relative passing through Lucknow with bags and baggage  to be weighed meant a long wait on a cold platform. I recall it was an uncomfortably cold winter that year. Lucknow has two railways - North-Eastern Railway and the Northern Railway so the goods had to come from the NER to the NR for weighing etc. That was a big problem! Since Mr Shepherd was not there I approached the Assistant Station Master and told him my name, deceiving him into thinking I was related to his boss. The ASM was happy to help! He picked up the railway phone and dialled the house and said 'talk to your uncle'. Gosh! I felt like a crook! 
So I introduced myself to Mr Shepherd and told him my problem. Without hesitation he said to give the receiver back to the ASM and the job was done. The goods were brought straight to the loading point without any problem. 
I never thanked Mr Shepherd - that is one regret among many that I still harbour!
George Shepherd
OLGA CYNTHIA ANN SHEPHERD
BORN: 14--08--1928
DIED: 27--11--2013


No comments:

Post a Comment