Monday, December 23, 2013

Constance Jahans 1853-1923

IN LOVING MEMORY
               OF
OUR DARLING MOTHER
CONSTANCE JAHANS
BORN 20TH DECEMBER 1853
DIED 16TH AUGUST 1923

Another grave that had all but disappeared.
On exposing the surname I remembered there
was a Jahans still around at the end of the 1970's
or 80's. The Jahans' red-brick residence was on
Cantonment Road at the side of the Lucknow
Publishing House and old-man Jahans stayed
there. I guess Constance was his mother and hope
I come across his grave sometime.
Below are four Jahans out of a number listed on
Fibis.org
1. Alfred EU Jahans, Lucknow from
the La Martiniere College register dated
1921
2. W. Jahans, Gusrd G.I.P Rly, Hardoi
La Martiniere College register (parent/guardian)
1921
 3. Allan Jahans, Lucknow, St Francis College
                                                                                             register, 1901 
                                                             4.    Allan Jahans, Allahabad, St Joseph's College
register, 1928                                                                                      

3 comments:

  1. thank you for this. I am a Jahans and I research family history. thre were a lot of Jahans in India. Constance I believe to be the 2nd wife of Edwin Duncan Hay Jahans and a distant relative. If you find any more Jahans I would be delighted to know. Pippa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pippa! Just seen your comment (May 3, 2014). Hope I find the grave of the Mr Jahans referred to who had retired from the railway here in Lucknow.

      Delete