Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Mordaunt Evelyn Fanthome 1874-1965

The cemeteries in Lucknow were well laid out, neat rows with
enough space to  stand or walk. Here one can see there are no
graves; the dead have made room for the dead! I have spent a 
considerable amount of time in this cemetery and knew that 
graves were being demolished and the stone/marble being 
carted off. Finally, here was a slab standing against another grave.
On checking I was surprised to find that
it was from the grave of Mordaunt Fanthome, the grand uncle of
Peter Fanthome, MLA. When Mordaunt passed on in 1965, as 
per his wishes,  his funeral service was held in
La Martiniere College chapel and I was a student. Today 
his grave was  being demolished! I was mistaken as 
I was soon to find out. Mordaunt's grave had been apparently
 reconstructed and  the marble slab was awaiting
transportation to Peter Fanthome's residence. I was told that all the 
Fanthome graves had been spruce up.
I've got to check this oufor my own
satisfaction!
*
MORDAUNT EVELYN FANTHOME
BORN 18TH APRIL 1874
DIED 20TH MARCH 1965
ERECTED BY HUBERT AND INEZ
 (FANTHOME)


I was wrong!
I discovered later that the grave
was being done up with
granite and so the old
slab had been removed

No comments:

Post a Comment