Monday, June 8, 2015

Mary Jane Corbett 1857--1924

St John Church in the Wilderness, Naini Tal
Sacred to the Memory of
CAPTAIN F.J.S. WHITESIDE, XI North Devon Reg.
WHO DIED IN THE DISCHARGE OF
HIS DUTIES AS ASSIST. ADJUTANT-GENERAL
OF MUSKETRY AT NYNETAL
ON THE 28TH DAY OF MAY 1875(?)
Capt Whiteside (full view of
 the grave. Beyond the cross
is the grave of Eliza Stansbury
who died in 1851)

This is one very sad church that has survived
only because it has been built from the same rock
on which it stands by people
The cemetery is a jungle of stinging nettle
and other thorny plants, so while I knew that
Jim Corbett's mother was buried here, I considered it a
real stroke of luck to have come upon it right
at the beginning of my search! Jim's house known as
Gurney House is nearby and I believe the owner
has kept a portion with Corbett memorabilia open for
visitors to view. I do wonder where Jim's father was
buried; at Kaladhungi Cemetery, or at Haldwani, or in
this cemetery? I managed to spend just a few minutes at
the Kaladhungi Cem which we happened to pass a few kilometres
down the road to Kaladhungi.
          Sacred
      to the Memory
              of 
  MARY JANE CORBETT

BORN 17TH MARCH 1857
DIED 16TH MAY 1924
                 **
"Until the day breaks and the
shadows flee away"

I visited Nainital from Pongot in June 2018. While
walking past the St John's church near the high court, I
peeped into the cemetery and this is what I saw. I would
have been very disappointed had I come prepared to
photograph the graves that I missed during
my visit in 2015(?)

No comments:

Post a Comment