Sunday, April 21, 2013

Bertram Waldmere Queiros

Sunday April 21, 2013 Nishatganj Cemetery, Lucknow.

Mr Bertram Waldmere  Queiros
Born 2nd Feb 1887
Died on 23rd Oct 1945

Gone but not forgotten


Queiros or Quieros (?) was a well-known name in Lucknow going back at least to the 18th Century. Bertram at a guess was the father of Rosalind Queiros who became a Mrs Holloway when she was well past  middle age.


It's not easy to get information from people as one can see from the answer I got to my email to Peter Quieros a school friend. He ignored by question about Bertram Quieros.


Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 13:02:39 +0530
From: georgeshepherdlkw@gmail.com

April 24, 2013.

Hi Peter,
 Even if you send me only these chain mails its fine. I'm lucky! There are lots of old friends who are too busy - I bless them!!

Now, I'm a rather grave man! I don't know whether I've mentioned it before but I have a blog on graves.The blog's purpose is served when someone who has come across it, asks me about a certain grave - like a couple of weeks ago - a 78-year-old, Richard James from the UK asked me about the possibility of his father's grave still being around. His dad, a railway man, died in 1943 when Richard was small. So last Sunday since I had to go to the cemetery anyway, I searched. I didn't find it but intend to go again.
 During these searches I find  names of people I remember or at least the name is familiar. Two names in particular interested me that of Bertram Queiros died 1945 and an Alan Carville 1940 or 43. I've sent Russell a message with a pic of the grave and now await his reply.
About Bertram I'm just guessing that he must have been Rosalind Queiros' father.
I vaguely remember once on the way to the cemetery as pall-bearers, I presume, chatting with you or Clyde who mentioned having an aunt here who had a school? That was Rosalind or Girly Q. She married very late in life an ex-railway person, Mr Holloway and subsequently moved to the UK. A long time later we heard he had died. They had settled in Spain.

This is boring stuff! 

Cheers
George
  





From: Peter Quieros
Date: Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 1:15 PM
To: george shepherd <georgeshepherdlkw@gmail.com


Thanks so much Georgie. I really do appreciate the trouble you take to type pretty newsy emails. Must say there were many Quieros' especially buried in the Residency who lost their lives in the Great Uprising of 1857. There you are, who says I cannot remember dates. Infact we have our own burial ground in the Residency - not that it means much. I remember once reading that he who talks about his ancestors is like a potato- the best part is underground. 

Must tell you last Saturday I went for Gordon Bruce's 60th birthday party and met William Lyons and his wife. Bob Jordon made the effort to come from Sydney. Neville Baker and his wife were also there. It was a lovely evening.

Take care Georgie and keep in touch whenever you can. I love hearing from you. Look after yourself.
All the best,
Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment