Saturday, April 13, 2013

Lt Percy C. Smyth died 1858


Sacred to the memory
of
Lieutenant Percy C. Smyth
of Her Majesty's 97th
Regiment who died on the 4th
March 1858 of a wound
received at the attack on the fort
of Dhow-Rara of the morning of that day.

I first visited this grave in 1999 when it was surrounded by trees and bushes then about a year back I searched for it but missed the spot and thought it had been wiped out. Today, April 13, 2013, I was happy to find it was still in existence. 
George Shepherd
Two pics added July 16, 2014
The flyover has pushed the side road that leads to the nearby village closer to the grave but it isn't any worse than before! 
Tuesday Oct 24 2017
This morning I chose Sultanpur Road for my cycle ride and was

 surprise when I didn't spot the grave. It was almost as if I had come to 
the wrong spot. Then a local villager came along and told me that the 
grave had been removed sometime in the last six months by Army 
personnel.  That shocked me because I always felt it had survived only 
because it was on defence property.  Since all the bricks were not 
removed one  can tell in this pic where the missing walled 
enclosure stood. When I think back to the Lt Col Pogson 
memorial in Varanasi, I feel removing this grave is a good idea. 
The Pogson memorial was turned into a shrine by someone with 
an eye to business. The Pogson grave is also on this blog. The 
guy I spoke to mentioned a place of worship just about 150 metres 
from this spot. There's a culvert there that needed broadening
along with the road. He said that neither of the two PWD
engineers supervising the work had the courage to deal
with the culvert because of the temple. At the moment there's
no temple but metal rods onto which brass bells, hundreds
of them from tiny to huge,
 have been hung as 'offerings'. This is  a state highway
which is also used by the army to reach it ranges in the area.
If this place grows into a temple there are going to be
those auspicious occasions when crowds collect
and traffic will come to a halt, worse still, people
can get killed by fast moving vehicles.

Pic taken 11-11-2017

No comments:

Post a Comment