Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Residency mass grave

Inscription from the wall:
Within this enclosure are buried over one hundred brave defenders of the Residency who were killed during the
early part of the siege. Their names are not recorded.
The stone enclosure was topped by iron railings till perhaps sometime in the 1970s. I visited the Residency after an interval of a few years in 1977 and was disturbed to find that the railing had been taken away. There were several graves surrounded by iron chains, including that of Henry Lawrence, all have been stolen. The grave in the foreground is one of many without a name.
 It was pointed out to me recently that the cemetery is well documented. I am aware of a book by Edward Hilton which I saw some years ago that had a numbered plan of the graves and memorials, with the names listed. I guess a stone with just the name on these graves would be asking for too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment