Thursday, July 30, 2015

G.N. Pannas, the Greek!

G.N. PANNAS
THE GREEK
He died in the mid 1950s. His widow shifted

into her new flat in 1959 where she lived for a 
few months till a relative took her to Delhi. Well, 
that is what I remember grown ups
saying, that he was Greek! My memory of him is
 rather  cloudy  because I was pretty small
when he passed on. Lawrence Terrace was
a long old building that at one time
was used as a stable for the Nawab's 

elephants. Later,  used as barracks by British 
soldiers. There was accommodation
for 19 families. We, the Shepherds were at No. 13 and 
the Pannases probably at No. 6.
In the 1950s, as I recall, Mr Pannas' death
was my first experience, not that I
got a look at the body laid out. But, I
did see the hearse with the long black box
come and go.
Other deaths were Mr Cummings whom I
later learnt was a retired Vice Principal
of La Martiniere College. I think
he died at the Carter's place which
was No 19. No 20 onwards was the Lucknow Club,

 formerly, the Residency Club. There was
 Mrs Welby. Well that is just three and Mrs
Bowmer whose grave I recently.
posted must have died in between
though I do not remember.
Around 20 years ago Mrs Welby's
great grandson, Dennis W came from Australia. 

He was born in Australia decades
after her death. He found us at LT and we tried 
finding her grave but failed. Later, her
grandson, Geoffrey, who lived as a little
chap at LT also visited Lucknow.
While I'm photographing graves, I hope
I find this and a few others who I
remember from thise days!

No comments:

Post a Comment