Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Vernon Bernard Crosby 1880-1947

                        IN
SAD AND LOVING MEMORY
                       OF
       VERNON BERNARD
                   CROSBY
   BORN 1ST SEPTEMBER 1880
      DIED 14TH MARCH 1947
                         *
   SAFE IN THE ARMS OF JESUS,
  SAFE ON HIS GENTLE BREAST,
THERE BY HIS LOVE O'ERSHADOWED,
   SWEETLY THY SOUL SHALL REST


(Eddy Crosby in a Google note says he was
researching his family roots and was pleased
to find his paternal grandfather's grave on this
blog. He says that his grandparents had come from Burma
in 1942)
 Hi George,
My paternal grandmother's name is Maud Mary Victoria Crosby (nee Kiddle).
I know that she survived the trek from Burma along with grandfather and arrived in India on 21 March 1942. Their destination might of been Pilibhit, Uttar Pradesh where her son (my father) worked for the R & K railways. She died 3 months later from exhaustion. I have no idea where she actually died and I have yet to find a death certificate or any records online (ancestry and findmypast.com...

2 comments:

  1. Eddy Crosby's profile photo
    Eddy Crosby
    Dear George,
    I am presently researching my family history and was delighted to come across your blog and this photo of my paternal grandfather's grave. I knew he died in India but didn't know the year. He and grandmother did the trek out of Burma (to India) in 1942. Is this grave in the main cemetery in Lucknow?
    Once again thank you. Kind Regards Edward
    REPLY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eddy Crosby's profile photo
    Eddy Crosby
    +George Herbert Shepherd
    Hi George,
    Thank you for your informative reply. Interesting to hear that your grandfather worked on R & K Railways. I wonder if any of our family members ever knew each other. Your cousin's father sounds like he had a every boys dream job - a driver of a stream train in the foothills. Romantic images come to mind.

    Yes my dad was born in Burma in 1911. He trained as a civil engineer and worked on the railways in India. I have a letter dated 1945 regarding his service with Oudh & Tirhut Railway. (this must of been after the various railway companies merged).

    After the war he must of returned to Burma where in met my mother. In 1950 they moved to Ceylon where he work for the Ceylon government railways. I wish I asked him more about this time when he was alive.

    ReplyDelete